Monday, March 19, 2007

Clueless or Disingenuous?

From tonight's Rochester Post-Bulletin:


Lawmakers discuss education, taxes
3/19/2007 11:08:11 AM
By Jeff Kiger
The Post-Bulletin
Education was the topic on the table, but money and taxes often overshadowed it
during a legislative forum Saturday. Alice Seagren, commissioner of the state Department of Education, spoke at the Rochester Area Chmber of Commerce's
Eggs and Issues breakfast with area legislators. State Reps. Kim Norton, Randy Demmer and Andy Welti and state Sen. Dave Senjem participated. Rep. Tina
Liebling had to leave before the dicussion began, and Sen. Ann Lynch was absent
for family reasons.

"The T-Word," as Senjem called it, came up during discussion of the tax plans announced Friday by House and Senate leaders. Lawmakers have proposed using additional state revenue to offset increased classroom spending and property tax buydowns for homeowners. A new 9 percent tax bracket would apply to married people with incomes of more than $400,000, $226,000 for single filers, after deductions. House analysts estimate the proposal would affect about 50,000 people and generate $433 million over two years.

And how did our area legislators respond to the DFL's confiscatory tax plan?

Not surprinsingly, Republicans are unequivocal in their opposition to the Minnesota DFL's abusive tax increases.






"I have not supported this in the past, and I won't now. I think moderation will prevail."



-- Dave Senjem, (R) Senate District 30
















"Yes, the people with high wages can afford it, ... and they can afford to move to Florida, too."

-- Randy Demmer, (R) House District 29A






DFL legislators were harder to pin down, however.



"It is very targeted. I have not yet decided if I will support. I'll be doing a lot of thinking. Right now I have not made up my mind."

-- Kim Norton, (D) House District 29B




"I've advocated moderation. I have not decided if I support this."

-- Andy Welti, (D) House District 30B






Leave it to democrat legislators to say nothing when asked directly if they will support the abusive taxes proposed by the DFL. At the end of the day, both will vote as their party leaders tell them to vote not in the best economic interest of Olmsted County taxpayers who elected them. I have said it before and I will say it again: Olmsted County DFLers are Dr. Jekyll while in town but quickly turn into Mr. Hyde when in St. Paul.

Norton's non-answer is particularly telling. At first she appears to defend her party's repulsive tax increases by saying they are "very targeted." But quickly, in true doublespeak, says she has not yet made up her mind. Translation: "I have not yet received my marching orders." In her defense, I must say that she probably didn't anticipate the question or else she would have had a scripted answer as is her custom. Norton does not say "Good morning" unless she has a cue card with the words clearly printed on it.

Why not be honest about their suport for abusive taxation from the start? Because Norton and Welti are DFLers, that's why.

No comments: