Thursday, May 29, 2008

More Racist Reverend Trouble for Obama


"She just always thought that, 'This is mine. I'm Bill's wife. I'm white.' ... And then, out of nowhere, came 'Hey, I'm Barack Obama." And she said, 'Oh damn, where did you come from? I'm white. I'm entitled. There's a black man stealing my show. She wasn't the only one crying. There was a whole lot of white people crying."
--Rev. Michael Pfleger, pastor of the predominantly black Saint Sabina Roman Catholic Church and Barack Obama supporter during a sermon at the Illinois senator's Trinity United Church of Christ last Sunday.


Obama distances himself from another clergyman
By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer
CHICAGO - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Thursday that he was "deeply disappointed" by a supporter's sermon at his church that mocked Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The Rev. Michael Pfleger, a Chicago activist, also apologized for last Sunday's sermon at Obama's church, in which he said Clinton's eyes welled with tears before the New Hampshire primary because she felt "entitled" to the Democratic nomination and because "there's a black man stealing my show."

In video circulating on the Internet, Pfleger said the former first lady expected to win the nomination before Obama's sudden popularity.

Obama's response was as swift, meaning he didn't wait twenty years to disavow a prominent supporter's racist words this time, as it was disingenuous.
"As I have traveled this country, I've been impressed not by what divides us, but by all that that unites us. That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause."

It looks like Obama thinks it's safe to not be Black again.
The obligatory non-apology apology from Rev. Pfleger's followed.
"These words are inconsistent with Senator Obama's life and message and I am deeply sorry if they offended Senator Clinton or anyone else who saw them," Pfleger said.

"If" they offended Clinton or anyone else? Please!

The Clinton campaingn pounced on Pleger's sermon.
"Divisive and hateful language like that is totally counterproductive in our efforts to bring our party together and have no place at the pulpit or in our politics," the campaign said in a statement. "We are disappointed that Senator Obama didn't specifically reject Father's Pfleger's despicable comments about Senator Clinton, and assume he will do so."

Wait. Isn't that the same Hillary who publicly courted the votes of "hard-working Americans, white Americans a few weeks ago? I'm confused.
I have said it before and will say it again. The Democrats are the party of racism, bigotry and intolerance.
.

3 comments:

Bounced Checks Berg said...

Said that before, eh?

Bully for you.


Hey, while you're at the state convention, see if there's any Blacks or Latinos there that you can take a picture of, will ya?

Oh - and I mean GreedOverPrinciples party members, that are attending the convention....

Othelmo da Silva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Othelmo da Silva said...

I'm Black. I know racism when I see it. I look at your party and I see rampant racism and intolerance.

By the way, I saw Somalis, African Americans, Asians and at least one Hindu at the convention today. Tells me how much you know about the composition of the Republican Party, twobit.