Friday, June 06, 2008

The DFL Circus Has Come to Town

I just couldn't resist stopping by the DFL state convention at the Mayo Civic Center after work today. Al Franken's supporters seemed to outnumber Jack Nelson Pallmayer's at least on the first day of the convention.
At least one Franken supporter with whom I talked seemed genuinely surprised at how organized Nelson Pallmeyer's supporters were. Franken's people seemed kind of shaken, though. They are not confident their comedian candidate will win the DFL nomination to run against Senator Norm Coleman.
I actually enjoyed talking to Nelson Pallmeyer supporters. They are issue oriented. They are misguided, as most liberals are, but at least they are as intellectually honest and consistent as liberals come these days.
I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I think Franken will win the nomination tomorrow. It will probably be a squeaker but his organization may trump the zeal of Nelson Pallmeyer's people. We'll see.
This lone, defiant Nelson Pallmeyer supporter said to me, "I was here first," when Franken fanatics invaded his turf.
The tables are turned in this picture.
Ashwin Madia addressing the Minnesota Young DFL (MYDFL). Madia, who apparently used to be a moderate Republican, is running for Congress in the 3rd District to take over a seat currently occupied by retiring Republican Jim Ramstad.

"The sky is falling!": A global warming workshop


Embattled Attorney General Lori Swanson. She wasn't discussing the ethical questions surrounding her office.


DFL caucus person Melissa (left) and Speaker of the House Margaret Anderson Kelliher on the convention floor. If they only knew where their picture was going to end up, I don't think they would have smile so broadly. Speaker Kelliher mentioned that she didn't think she and Melissa had ever taken a picture together, so I said I would send them a copy. And I did.


I wonder if this lady made the stuffed gorilla herself or won it at some carnival.


A "border security" DFLer? Probably not.

No comments: