Sunday, January 29, 2006

What I Believe



















Olmsted County has recently been infected with politicians of the worst kind, as you know. They are placeholders whose goal is to grow their party and further their selfish ambitions rather than develop the community that entrusted them with elected office.

As strongly as I feel about my deeply held beliefs regarding what makes America great, I learned long ago that there is only so much an individual can accomplish on his own. My wife and I were discussing the American Revolution before bed a few nights ago (quaint, I know) and it hit me again that the reason it was so successful in the end is that it was a movement. It wasn't about an individual's heartfelt beliefs about freedom. It wasn't about the agenda of a business or farming elite. People of all walks of life dedicated themselves to building America out of the highest principles and aspirations humanity has ever harbored.

It is time for that same kind of movement today - a Second American Revolution, if you will. People need to be re-educated on what it means to be an American. If they know and understand the principles, the history, the toil, the sacrifice, the setbacks and the victories that brought America to where she is today, they will instinctively reject the liberal principles of obscene taxation and moral laxity that permeate our society.

Sadly, my tea bag "stunt" at the Rochester Truth-in-Taxation hearing was lost on American citizens who had no idea what the Boston Tea Party was. That saddened me deeply but also helped me understand why they were so easily deceived by Andy Welti and Tina Liebling (and almost Kim Norton, the Tax Lady) during the last election cycle.

Knowing American history and sharing the principles on which America was built inoculates anyone against the pernicious disease of liberalism.

No comments: